Blog | The Power of Cherries!
Cherries are one of my favorite summer snacks! They pack a vitamin-infused punch and are loaded with minerals, all at just 90 calories per cup! The pit in the middle actually makes you eat slower and do a little work, so overeating is much less likely with this snack. Craving the sweet, healthy summer treat? Here are some pits of information you may not have known about cherries!
- Could you use some extra zzz’s? Cherries can help with your sleep! They contain a hormone called melatonin, which regulates your sleep cycle. Try sipping a cup of tart cherry juice before bed to help you snooze.
- Cherries are one of the lowest fruits on the glycemic index - meaning out of all fruits, they have the lowest and slowest effect on your blood sugar, making cherries an ideal choice for diabetics and those looking to drop a few pounds.
- One cup of cherries contains 18% of your daily value of Vitamin C, which helps tremendously to boost your immunity. You know what they say, a cup of cherries a day keeps the ‘rona away!
- Cherries are rich in antioxidants that help fight free radicals. Antioxidants can aid in exercise recovery, inflammation, and arthritis. On top of all that, antioxidants also keep your skin glowing and youthful.
- Cherries also contain anthocyanins, a type of flavonoid. Flavonoids have antioxidant effects and can lower cholesterol and regulate blood pressure - super important for heart health!
Pick up some cherries next time you're at the store! They have a short growing season, so make sure to get them while you can. For the cherry on top of a perfect summer day, pack them in your cooler when you head to the pool or beach and enjoy the refreshing, cherrific, guilt-free taste with all the added benefits!